Sunday 10 October 2010

Sunny weather!

I am still coughing, and am really bored with it now! Running is tough when struggling for every breath, but I have a race in two weeks and am stupidly unprepared for it.

After my aborted foray up Brockham Hill on Monday I decided to hit the gym on Tuesday. I wanted to do some interval training on the treadmill, but it took me so long to work out how to programme the machine that I gave up and used one of the machine's preset programmes. My idea of intervals is 40 - 60 seconds really, really fast with a few minutes of comfortable running in between each sprint to recover. This wasn't an option on the machine at the gym, but I did manage about 30 minutes before terminal boredom set in. I also did a quick session on the Power Plates, mainly squats, but throwing in some ab and upper body stuff too.

Wednesday saw me running outside again, just over 3 miles on the Basingstoke road, followed by a huge coughing fit and lunch in the garden at Bottega dei Sapori with Stephen and Dupé. We have been enjoying fantastic weather, it was really hot in the sun.

Thursday was a rest day, more because we were busy than because I had planned it that way. Stephen and I went up to London to drop off some books and have lunch with a friend. Thursday evening is quiz night at The Weybridge. We had a huge team this week, and would have come first if not for me messing up a question in a wipeout round. As it was we came second and won a £30 food voucher (first prize is £50 cash).

I ran again on Friday, trying to step up the distance a little and managing just under 4 miles. Every time I set out to run I would be full of hope that this time I would enjoy it, but Friday's run was as miserable as every other run since Paris has been. I am really worried about my ability to run 10 miles in two weeks' time.

Today it is sunny, bright and warm again. I set off for a run with The Fry Chronicles on my iPhone and a determination to take it easy and have fun! I ran a very slow 5.25 miles (9 minute miles) but did enjoy it and felt that, had I not needed to get back to look after children and make them lunch I could have gone of for a few more miles, so all hope is not lost! Maybe I'll even shift this cough before the Great South Run....

In other news.... I have a teaching placement arranged at last! I don't start until January, sadly, but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am off to spend a day at the school on Tuesday and hopefully I'll be able to arrange a few more days there before my official start. I'd like to spend some time with the lab techs to see how that side of the department works, as well as making a start on some of the (many, many) tasks that the OU want completed and deciding what focus my research project should have.

In the meantime, I plan to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather, coffee with friends, being available to pick up children from school etc. All activities that will be curtailed once I am back in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment