Saturday 30 July 2011

The ever elusive PB...

I set off for parkrun this morning with a bit of a spring in my step and hope in my heart. Maybe this week would be the week, the one where I smashed through my previous PB, or even shaved a second off the time. I didn't run yesterday so that my legs would feel rested today, had an early night, woke up early enough to have a leisurely breakfast so that I wouldn't arrive at the start line stressed and still trying to digest my porridge! I was feeling inspired by the amazing Mo Farah (*) who recently set a new British record for 5k of 12:53:11 - surely thinking about that would get me round in super quick time?

The weather was lovely this morning, number one son was up early enough to come with me and I felt pretty good. I set off quite fast, probably too fast, but I was enjoying the feeling of speed. I couldn't maintain it though and soon settled back into a more comfortable pace. I was aware that I was being overtaken by people I normally overtake, and those of you who know me will know that I have a nasty competitive streak that doesn't like that happening! I couldn't do much about it though! My watch told me that I was still running along at a goodish (for me!) pace and I was still hopeful that even if my position slipped I might squeak a PB. As I passed the finish line for the second time I made fun of Race Director Richard in his luminous jacket with his clipboard, and my maternal instincts meant that I did slow down to ask a young boy if his ankle was OK (I'd seen him trip earlier and he was running strangely on it) so maybe I lost a few seconds there - that's what I'll say when the results come in and say that I have just missed out again! I did apologise to the lady handing out the chips, for swearing as I crossed the line, looked at my watch and realised that I was about 2 seconds too slow!

But, parkrun is about more than just getting a PB (honest it is!) It is about being part of a community and connecting with other runners, so I am not too upset. As fellow parkrunner Ian commented my running is consistent - so that is something I suppose! My son will have a new PB this week - I think he cut at least 3 minutes off his previous time and finishing with a really strong sprint.

After taking the boy home, I drove the car down to husbando's shop as he is off to an auction this afternoon. I took advantage of the lovely weather and ran the 2 miles home. An afternoon of taxi-ing children around and continuing the gargantuan task of clearing out the cupboard under the stairs beckons!

* Mo Farah and his wife took part in the Bushy parkrun today. You can see a snap of him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment